Historic Sites & Societies

Minisink Ford Battleground

Town of Highland, New York
Located off Route 97 on County Road 168

The park, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is dedicated to the brave men who fought and died at the "Battle of Minisink," the Upper Delaware's only major Revolutionary War skirmish.

Included in the park's 57 acres are picnic areas, a group picnic pavilion (fee required), restroom facilities and walking trails. An Interpretive Center contains displays which explain the various themes of the park: the battle, the flora and fauna and mankind's use of the park down through the ages. Self-guiding trails run through the park providing the visitor with an opportunity for a more in-depth knowledge of these themes.

This facility is located within the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River, a unit of the National Park Service, and is in close proximity to the famous Roebling Bridge and Zane Grey Museum.

There is no admission fee, park hours are from 8am to dark.

Minisink Ford Battlefield-Charlie-Hoffman

© Catskills Photography Charlie Hoffman

Roebling Bridge & Tollhouse

4225 State Route 97
Barryville, NY 12719

Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River is the home of the oldest existing wire suspension bridge in the United States - the Delaware Aqueduct, or Roebling Bridge as it is now known. Begun in 1847 as one of four suspension aqueducts on the Delaware and Hudson Canal, it was designed by and built under the supervision of John A. Roebling, future engineer of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Portions of the D & H Canal, including the Delaware Aqueduct, were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1968. The Delaware Aqueduct is also designated a National Civil Engineering Landmark.

Roebling Tollhouse Charlie Hoffman

© Catskills Photography Charlie Hoffman

Additional Area Sites

D & H Canal Park and the Neversink Valley Area Museum

26 Hoag Road
Cuddebackville, NY 12729
email: nvam@frontiernet.net

D&H Canal Park is open every day from dawn to dusk.

Owned by the County of Orange and maintained by the Orange County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation, a National Historic Landmark, the the D&H Canal Park is a 300-acre park with a one mile section of the Delaware and Hudson Canal (1825-1898) and a number of historic canal-era buildings.

Fort Decker Museum

125-133 West Main Street
Port Jervis, NY 12771

Owned and operated by the Minisink Valley Historical Society, Fort Decker, offers a look back in the history of the Minisink Valley during colonial life, the Revolutionary War and the D&H Canal era.

Originally built as an outpost for settlers in 1760, the structure was burned down by Joseph Brandt's Tory and Mohawk raiders in 1779 as a prelude to the Battle at Minisink. Rebuilt by Martinus Decker in 1793, the structure was later used as a hotel for the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company and now serves as a museum.

Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History

6615 State Route 97
Narrowsburg, NY 12764
845-807-0261 (September-April)
845-252-6660 (May-August)

Fort Delaware is an authentic depiction of the life of the Delaware Company Pioneers who settled in the Upper Delaware Valley in 1754. A tour of the facilities includes demonstrations of early settlers' lifestyles and craft-making. A gift shop, vending area and picnicking facilities are located on the grounds. Each spring, the Fort is host to over 1000 students who participate in the Student Days program. This facility is located within the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River, a unit of the National Park Service.

Shohola Railroad and Historical Society

132 Route 434
P.O. Box 79
Shohola, PA 18458

As modern technology began to make the need for a caboose obsolete, many railway companies opted to no longer attached the caboose to the end of the trains. Though nostalgic for many the cost of the added weight gave way to the discard as well. On March 19, 1991 caboose #21754 was placed on its current site in Shohola after a long-life on the Reading, Penn Central and Conrail lines. Its class, a N7 caboose.

The Shohola Caboose houses memorabilia of the railroad and the area.shohola caboose and train wreck memorial.

Hours and Admission
Caboose is open Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-2pm
During the months of June, July and August.
Admission is free

Sullivan County Historical Society

265 Main Street
Hurleyville, NY 12747

The Sullivan County Historical Society was founded in 1886 and has the primary mission of preserving and presenting the history of Sullivan County for future generations. This is accomplished by the acquisition of historical records, documents and artifacts illustrating the history of the county, with the use of temporary and permanent exhibits.

Zane Grey Museum

135 Scenic Drive
Lackawaxen, PA 18435

Prolific western author Zane Grey (1872-1939) began his career realting stories of his fishing experiences along the Upper Delaware River. He lived in Lackawaxen, PA from 1895 to 1918. Lackawaxen always held a special place in his memories, and was chosen as the site of his final resting place. Today, Grey's home is preserved by the National Park Service as a part of the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River.